Friday, May 1, 2009

Why Do I Cosplay?


On Sun Apr 19 around 6:45pm, I was in San Francisco outside Japantown where the Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival took place. I was walking to a restaurant to eat dinner with my friends. I thought of a random question: "Why do I cosplay?" My reply was, "Holy shit. I forgot why I cosplay?" Here are the reasons why I cosplay. First, a brief history how I began cosplaying.

I almost quit anime after talking to an old friend at Fanime Con '04. He graduated at UC Irvine and had a full time job. He was phasing out of anime. After the conversation, I thought about quitting. On day 3, I watched 17 episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist. The 9th episode I said to myself, "I'm cosplaying Edward Elric." The months of July and Aug I researched how to make the cosplay. My Mom was nice and did a great job making the red coat and black vest. I cosplayed Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist at Japantowne Anime Faire in Sep 2004 that saved me from quitting anime. I also cosplayed Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicles, Toshiro Hitsugaya from Bleach, and Chrono Haralown from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

The number one reason why I cosplay is to meet new people. I forgot the number one reason since Fanime Con '08. I did meet new people at Fanime '08. I should have met more new people. I also cosplay to hang out with my friends who cosplay. And I also take pictures of cosplayers. I have dual roles—I cosplay and take pics of my fellow cosplayers.

I want to share one of my favorites bittersweet moments. In Fanime '05, I was shopping in the dealer's room for bargains on the last day. A random group of cosplayers asked me to join them for lunch. I was tired hosting Texas Hold'em in Tabletop Gaming the night before and I politely refused. Thinking back, I should have joined the cosplayers.

Obviously having fun is another reason I cosplay. I'm happy I remembered why I cosplay. Fanime'09 takes place Memorial Day weekend. Now I remember the reasons why I cosplay. I'm ready to have fun, open myself up, hang out with my friends, and meet new people. Yay!

Visit my first blog Innovating Common Knowledge

No comments: