Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Conversation From Dan

I remember a conversation with my assistant manager. Unfortunately, he no longer works at my company. The conversation inspires me to blog a brief self interview.

Good things in life require paying your dues. What and how does paying your dues mean?

I haven't paid out my dues yet. I'm still in the process of paying my dues. I started paying my dues on Sat Oct 4, 2008, the day I realized I must grow up. My dreams and personal promises of getting a full time job and moving out are going to happen. I still have more learning. I still have more mistakes to commit. I still have more hell to go through. I continue to get stronger and wiser. Life has a funny way to tell me I paid my dues and my life is ready for 100% independence. I earn my success and not take life for granted.

I have a new set of dues to pay after I find a full time job and live independently. I know the dues at a future date.

What are you doing to put in the time?

I start learning Python on Mon Jul 7. Python is not a language in demand. Given my weak programming skills, it's a start. I'm reviewing and relearning Excel's VLOOKUP.

I resumed my gym routine on Sat Jun 7 after being sick for 6 weeks starting on Wed May 7. I write down the days I work out and days I perform my stretches. My goal is a consistent physical workout to stay physically healthy.

I start job searching on Mon Jul 7. I'm going to make my move finding another job. Job searching helps me choose what new job skills and knowledge I learn after Python. I believe I waste my time relearning Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. . . . my past skills and knowledge. I'm rusty, however, everything comes back to me when I find a new job. My time out of work is better used to learn something new. I believe a company gives me an opportunity. My Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. skills and experience are like riding a bike and driving a manual transmission. I remember them when I start working at them again like balancing myself on a bike and coordinating my feet to shift gears.

My bonus is learning wine. I purchased Wine For Dummies by Ed McCarthy and Mary Ewing-Mulligan. I learn a few bits of information which helps me at my job.

Are you ready to die?

No. There is too much life I need to experience. I'm catching up what I missed in my 20s. I'm behind in my years. I'm a late bloomer. My life has been getting better. My life experiences, adventures, wisdom, and strength are getting better. Time gives me the hope I continue to grow on a geometric scale as a way to catch up. I'm not done. I'm not ready to settle.

No comments: