Saturday, December 8, 2012

Misses, Undeserving, Overvalue, Undervalue, Overrated, Upsets Part 3

I want to think about my opportunities and moments I missed, didn’t deserve, awarded for the wrong reasons, or never given the opportunity. I wonder my life could have and should have been different if some of these events happened to me in my past. My timeline could have gone a different direction. There is a high probability I’m a better person. I become stronger, smarter, and realized I must grow up at an earlier age.

Part 1 was my high school years. Part 2 was my years at San Jose State University (SJSU). Part 3 is my working years.

I worked in commercial real estate for 8 years after I graduated SJSU. I worked in the research department supporting the brokers. The responsibilities were not difficult. There were some challenges. I successfully mastered my function as an analyst.

The missed opportunities were nobody trained me how to be a good worker. The manager who hired me at my first job and my second job didn't train me new skills and new knowledge above my "entry level" skills and knowledge. I mastered my function because there was nothing more to learn. I learned what I needed to know, completed my assignments and requests, and nothing more.

My manager worked with me for three months before going to my second company in Oct. He gave me little training. In my second job, my same manager, who hired me in Feb of next year, didn't have time to give me more training. Our managing partner assigned my same manager too many projects, especially designing a new database. The database project was the number one reason he was hired to my second.

Moreover, I received no training, no guidance, no mentoring on surviving, dealing, learning, adapting, and being active in the work environment. Most of the experience and knowledge working in commercial real estate could not help me in other companies and those better work environments.

Grow Up Before Sat Oct 4, 2008?

I didn't have a mentor, someone to follow and model how I'm supposed to act, behave, and think in the workplace. I admit I was naive and immature. I took my career for granted. Nothing bad was going to happen to me. Nothing bad happened; however, nothing good happened. I did the same thing every day for eight years. I accepted that.

I believed if I grew up anytime during my second company, I might have acted, behaved, and thought of myself as a smarter and wiser worker who took more responsibility for my actions, my thinking, and got along better with my fellow staff. I might have taken charge for myself to grow, to earn, to learn, and to innovate.

I continued to think about my past jobs. I'm looking forward to apply the lessons I learned and mistakes I corrected for my next company and living life one day at a time. I promise the world and my next company Raymond Mar is a mature, grown-up, ready to contribute employee who communicates, gets along with others, have professional knowledge, and in good physical condition.

No comments: