Thursday, June 4, 2015

We Experience Bad Years Like Actors Starring In Bad Years

Tom Hanks starred in a string of bad movies: The 'Burbs, Turner & Hooch, and Joe Versus The Volcano. Bruce Willis started in a string of bad movies: Hudson Hawk, The Last Boy Scout, and Striking Distance. The actors resurrected their careers eventually. Hanks starred in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump. Willis starred in Pulp Fiction. They're household celebrity actors with a good list of good movies.

My 2013 and 2014 were bad years. The last time I experienced back to back bad years was 2007 and 2008. 2013 and 2014 ended on a good note when I found new jobs. Similarly, I realized I must grow up in 2008. 2013 was a bad year because I had too much fun, made bad choices, and I took life for granted. I admit I forgot one of my life lessons which was don't take life for granted. I was reminded don't take life for granted when I found a job in Nov.

2014 started being a bad year when I got sick in May. The sickness lasted six weeks. I didn't work out at the gym. I took two days off because I was sick. I felt fatigued on some of my shifts. I failed a skills test during an interview in Jun. The failure motivated me to review my job skills in Jul and Aug. The saddest day of my life happened on Tue Sep 9 when I quit my new job after two days because of questionable business practices. I job searched six days, I reviewed my job skills seven days, and I learned new job skills seven days for each week in Sep and Oct. I reviewed Excel, SQL, and Salesforce. I learned Python. I announced my retirement from Japanese Anime in Sep which gave me more free time to prepare for my next job. The hard work paid off in Nov when I found another new job with good business practices.

The experiences I experienced and the lessons learned in 2013 and 2014 and opening myself up began 2015. Be professional at everything I do. I work out at the gym to stay in shape. Don't take life for granted. I escape my comfort zone trying new things. I completed the Community Emergency Response (CERT) volunteer training in Feb. I continue reviewing my job skills starting in Apr. I continue working on my goals: meeting new people and making new friends, learning new job skills, finding a permanent job, working out at the gym consistently, and moving out.

Currently, I'm looking for another job. My last job the contract was satisfied. I follow the same routine in Sep and Oct 2014: job searching, reviewing my job skills, and learning new job skills daily. I workout at the gym four days a week. I find time to take care of the house. I find time to take a break.

Everyone experience down years. It's life. There are some aspects in life nobody has control. Stay strong. Stay positive. Learn from the down years. It's part of getting wiser. Hope for good timing and good luck to lead us to successful ventures or to bounce back from negative events.

No comments: